Kuok Foundation Berhad is a non-profitable charitable institution incorporated on 1 June 1970 by the Kuok family under the Malaysian Companies Act 1965 as a company limited by guarantee and not having a share capital
It was set up to alleviate poverty and to reduce the economic disparities between the rich and poor communities in Malaysia. The Kuok family firmly believed in its social responsibility to share its wealth and good fortune with the less fortunate.
The Kuok family started business in Johor Bahru, Malaysia as Kuok Brothers Limited in 1949, trading rice, sugar and wheat flour. The family’s business activities expanded in 1953 with the opening of a Singapore branch named Kuok (Singapore) Limited. From these humble beginnings, the Kuok Group of Companies has expanded to become one of Asia’s most diversified and dynamic multinational conglomerates.
- To foster, develop and improve education of all kinds and in such manner as may from time to time be decided upon by the Foundation, including the founding and maintaining of scholarships and chairs at schools, colleges and universities.
- To subscribe and grant donations to any cause, person, corporation, institution or organization and to grant study loans to students for higher education.
- To contribute towards scientific research and teaching and to provide medical and surgical facilities and services of all kinds.
- To organize, carry out and support schemes for the relief of human suffering, improvement of the standard of human life and the treatment of sickness and diseases.
- To assist, aid and give relief to the poor and needy who by reason of age, ill-health, misfortune or infirmity are wholly or in part unable to maintain themselves and their dependents by their own exertions and in particular widows and orphans, victims of fire, floods, famine, war or calamity and those in need of moral or social rehabilitation or welfare. Provided that the person who is to be the object of such relief is a suitable and worthy object of such relief or appears capable of deriving permanent benefit, bearing in mind that the object of this endowment is the encouragement of self-help and rehabilitation of those in temporary or inevitable distress and not the encouragement of idleness or vice.
- To support health, sporting and recreational activities by donating towards hospitals, sanatorium or other institutions for developing, maintaining and regaining bodily or mental health and strength.
Encik Abdullah Bin Dato’ Haji Abdul Rahman
Dato’ (Dr) Keshmahinder Singh
Dato’ (Dr) S.M.A. Alhady
Mr Kuok Hock Chin
Mr Kuok Hock Nien
Contribution to Education
The main focus of the Foundation’s activities since its inception in 1970 was and still is on the advancement of education and the alleviation of poverty through education.
Study Loans, Grants and Scholarships
Study loans, grants, loan-grants and scholarships were given to needy and deserving Malaysian students pursuing undergraduate courses at public universities in Malaysia, Singapore and United Kingdom; and selected private universities/colleges in Malaysia while study grants were awarded for Diploma level courses at Malaysian polytechnics and nursing colleges and half-loan half-grants were awarded to Singaporean public polytechnics. Scholarships such as the Kuok Keng Kang scholarships and Tan Sri Datuk Oh Siew Nam scholarships were given since 2013; while the Wilmar and Kuok Khoon Hong Scholarships were given since 2016. Goh Ing Sing Agriculture Science Scholarships were given since 2017.
The Foundation also offer study grants for vocational training to enable youths and school leavers to pick up marketable skills such as wood-working, welding, printing, motor mechanics, typing and secretarial skills, baking, computer literacy, kindergarten teaching, sewing, hairdressing and so on.
As at end of 2020, almost 14,295 awardees have completed their studies.
Other Past Scholarships
Revolving Loan Funds
Apart from supporting students directly as mentioned above, the Foundation had also established 2 Revolving Loan Funds at Kolej Tunku Abdul Rahman and one Revolving Loan Fund at the Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang.
TARC-KF Loan Funds
The Kuok Foundation Loan Fund I at Tunku Abdul Rahman College (TARC-KF Loan Fund I) was set up in 1980 and the TARC-KF Loan Fund II was set up in 1984.
The main objective of these two Funds is to provide study loans to the poor student of Tunku Abdul Rahman College, now known as Tunku Abdul Rahman University College (TARUC). Since its inception, a total of 1,008 loans had been given out under TARUC-KF Loan Funds.
USM-KF Loan Fund
The USM-KF Student Loans Fund was established in 1975 to provide study loans to the poor student of USM. From 1998 onwards the USM-KF Loan Fund became a revolving loan fund without further topping up from the Kuok Foundation. Financial awards using this Fund has been discontinued and USM students were instead invited to apply directly to Kuok Foundation where they were considered for loans / grants / half-loan half-grants at the prevailing rates.
Advancement of Education
- To improve educational facilities, the Foundation donated generously towards the building and development funds of schools and institutions of higher learning. It is particularly supportive of rural schools.
- To promote scientific research and teaching, Professorial Chairs were established.
- In 1973: The MSM Chair in Food Technology, named after Malayan Sugar Manufacturing Company (MSM) which donated the endowment sum of RM600,000/-. Due to changing needs, this Chair was later converted to a Research Grant Fund in 2006.
- In 1976: The FFM Chair in Biochemical Engineering, named after Federal Flour Mills Berhad (now known as FFM Bhd) which donated the endowment sum of RM1million. Owing to changing circumstances, this Chair was converted to a scholarship fund which gives out scholarships named after FFM
- In 2010: A grant of RM260,000/- was approved to fund a research on “Anti-Chikungunya Virus Susceptibility Testing Using Local Natural Resources” at UTAR
- In 2011: The Tan Sri Dato’ Philip Kuok Professorial Chair in Agricultural Science at the Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR)
- To promote medical research, the Foundation sponsors a yearly research Award named the Tun Abdul Razak Research Award organized by the Academy of Medicine of Malaysia to Malaysian doctors for medical research.